A sophisticated group of conspirators was involved in the suicide bombing in Bulgaria that killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver last week, and they spent at least a month in Bulgaria before the attack, the country’s prime minister said Tuesday.
Boiko Borisov’s comments confirm suspicions that the suicide attacker who targeted a bus filled with Israeli vacationers last Wednesday did not act alone. However, the prime minister did not offer any evidence or give many more details. He didn’t say how many people were believed to have been involved in attack on Israeli tourists in Burgas and also declined to back up Israel’s claims that Iran and the militant group Hezbollah played roles.
Those involved used “leased vehicles, they moved in different cities so as not to be seen together, and no two of them can be seen in one place on any security camera,” Borisov said, speaking alongside visiting White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan.
He described the people behind the blast as “exceptionally skilled” and said they operated under “strict conspiracy rules.” He also said DNA samples from the suicide bomber have been shared with all partner security services, but no match has been found in their databases.
“There was absolutely no chance of preventing such an act of violence,” Borisov insisted. “We could have only detected it by chance or if we had been informed by the services that such activities were under way in Bulgaria.”
Read more from this story HERE.
Photo credit: Alselon