New York Values? Farmers Can’t Refuse Homosexual Wedding in Backyard – Unless They Want to Be Fined

Farmers who host weddings in their backyard cannot refuse ceremonies where two people of the same sex are trying to get married, a New York court has ruled.

The court’s decision affirmed the state’s Division of Human Rights (DHR) ruling against Robert and Cynthia Gifford, owners of Liberty Ridge Farms, after they declined to host a “wedding” for a same-sex couple. The Giffords said they would host the reception for a lesbian couple, but the ceremony itself would have to be hosted elsewhere because of their religious beliefs about marriage.

DHR found that the couple violated New York’s “places of public accommodation” anti-discrimination law. If the court’s decision stands, the Giffords must pay $10,000 in state fines and an additional $3,000 in damages to the lesbian couple, Jennie McCarthy and Melissa Erwin, for “mental pain and suffering.”

Additionally, the Giffords – who say they have hosted a birthday party for a lesbian couple’s adopted child, and employed people with same-sex attractions – will have to provide sensitivity training to their staff and prominently display a poster highlighting state anti-discrimination laws.

The suit goes back to a 2012 phone call that Cynthia answered. Erwin and McCarthy wanted to have their wedding on site, something Cynthia said couldn’t happen. (Read more from “New York Values? Farmers Can’t Refuse Homosexual Wedding in Backyard – Unless They Want to Be Fined” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

  • Kent2012

    typical, we have watched for many years as trends developed in communist crapafornia and other crap was considered as great coming from communist new york city….now we get word that the aholes in those places think that the USA is not Christian and that since less then 3% of the population admit to same sex desires that we should allow the jerks to cram it down our throats, so to speak…well their lifestyle is fine what is not acceptable is the media and the legislative support that they are getting from the queens in TV and magazines and the queens that idiots elected from the democrapo communist party…oh and I almost forgot the fagot commies in the supremo courto…

  • Linda

    This is Horrible !! If it comes down to them having the wedding on the farm, make sure there are plenty of thorns along the path. You may also use a supply of itching powder in the rice or bird seeds they throw.

  • Concerned

    These political hacks are asinine! These Gays could go any other place they wanted to go, but instead elected to punish someone for their beliefs. How can a Christian nation allow the 3% to change our laws for their personal benefit against the remaining 97%? Stupid and crazy.