One month prior to the massacre Wednesday at a South Florida high school, the FBI was warned that 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz might carry out such an attack, but investigators failed to act on the lead, the bureau has admitted.
The FBI said in a statement that it received the tip last month from a person close to Cruz. The teen has been charged with killing 17 people Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
The bureau said the tip should have been pursued “as a potential threat to life,” but “protocols were not followed.”
“We are still investigating the facts,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray in the statement. “I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public.”
As WND reported, the FBI also was alerted in September that someone with the user name Nikolas Cruz posted a comment on YouTube that he aspired to be “a professional school shooter.” Authorities now believe the comment was written by the suspect in the Florida shooting. (Read more from “FBI Admits Botching Another Lead on Florida Killer” HERE)