By AP. The Trump administration said Monday that California Gov. Jerry Brown rejected terms of the National Guard’s initial deployment to the Mexican border, but a state official said nothing was decided.
“The governor determined that what we asked for is unsupportable, but we will have other iterations,” Ronald Vitiello, U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s acting deputy commissioner, told reporters in Washington.
Brown elicited rare and effusive praise from President Donald Trump last week for pledging 400 troops to the Guard’s third large-scale border mission since 2006. (Read more from “California Refuses Border Duties for National Guard” HERE)
California in Dispute Over Trump Administration Plan for National Guard Troops at Border
By Fox News. California authorities pushed back Monday on a Trump administration official’s claim that Gov. Jerry Brown rejected terms of the National Guard’s initial deployment to the Mexican border.
California National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Thomas Keegan told Fox News on Monday that state officials have not rejected anything since the governor pledged 400 troops. President Trump has vowed to send up to 4,000 troops to the border . . .
Brown, who repeatedly has found himself in Trump’s political crosshairs, earned rare praise from the president last week.
“California Governor Jerry Brown is doing the right thing and sending the National Guard to the Border. Thank you, Jerry, good move for the safety of our Country!” Trump tweeted last week.
But Brown insisted that California’s troops have nothing to do with immigration enforcement. (Read more from “California in Dispute Over Trump Administration Plan for National Guard Troops at Border” HERE)