Wait–How Many Immigrants Are on Welfare Again?

By Townhall. This is the land of opportunity, and anyone who wants the come here can…legally. That’s not the issue. For the Trump White House, it’s been their stated position to shift our immigration policy toward allowing more high-skilled workers into this country.

As for the families of the low-skilled working immigration population in the country, 51 percent (76 percent counting immigrant-led households with children) are collecting some sort of check from our welfare services. Is that good? No. Does that mean we shut it all down? No. That figure comes from the Center for Immigration Studies, who noted the need for the immigration process to be more “selective.” At the same time, there are a lot of American households with children that are also getting some form of government assistance (via USA Today):

About 51% of immigrant-led households receive at least one kind of welfare benefit, including Medicaid, food stamps, school lunches and housing assistance, compared to 30% for native-led households, according to the report from the Center for Immigration Studies, a group that advocates for lower levels of immigration.

Those numbers increase for households with children, with 76% of immigrant-led households receiving welfare, compared to 52% for the native-born.

The findings are sure to fuel debate on the presidential campaign trail as Republican candidates focus on changing the nation’s immigration laws, from calls for mass deportations to ending birthright citizenship.

(Read more from “Wait–How Many Immigrants Are on Welfare Again?” HERE)

______________________________________________

Homeland Security Extends Special Immigration Status for Some Yemenis

By NBC News. The Trump administration said Thursday that Yemenis granted special immigration status in the U.S. after an escalating civil war can keep the designation, making them among a shrinking group of people from countries wracked by violence and natural disaster to have permission to remain in the country.

Yemen was first designated for the special status in 2015. The civil war reached new levels last year — the United Nations said at least 10,000 civilians were killed and more than half the country had a serious food shortage. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said in a statement that the armed conflict and extraordinary conditions support the need for continuing the designation. But the administration will not take on new applicants.

Those already with the status — nearly 1,250 — will be able to remain in the U.S. and will be allowed to work until at least March 3, 2020.

International Rescue Committee, a humanitarian group, called it a relief that the Trump administration was extending the designation for some Yemenis but said that placing an “arbitrary date on eligibility” could force some Yemenis to return to deadly conflict. (Read more from “Homeland Security Extends Special Immigration Status for Some Yemenis” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.