By Daily Wire. Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), will not defend Pope Francis following Archbishop Viganò’s explosive claim that the Roman Pontiff participated in the covering up of disgraced D.C. Cardinal McCarrick’s crimes of sexual abuse against seminarians.
Responding to Viganò’s 11-page letter alleging that Pope Francis lifted sanctions that had been imposed on McCarrick by Pope Benedict, DiNardo did not take the Catholic left’s line of characterizing the Archbishop as a right-wing conspiracy theorist; instead, the prelate openly called for an investigation to uncover the truth.
“The questions raised deserve answers that are conclusive and based on evidence,” DiNardo said in a Monday statement, according to Crux Now. “Without those answers, innocent men may be tainted by false accusation and the guilty may be left to repeat sins of the past.” . . .
“I am eager for an audience with the Holy Father to earn his support for our plan of action,” said DiNardo earlier this month. “That plan includes more detailed proposals to: Seek out these answers, make reporting of abuse and misconduct by bishops easier, and improve procedures for resolving complaints against bishops.” (Read more from “Head of U.S. Bishops Conference Issues Shocking Statement on Pope Francis” HERE)
This Abuse Scandal Leads All the Way to the Vatican
By NY Post. An ecclesial straight shooter. A reliable character. A serious man. That’s how sources familiar with Carlo Maria Viganò describe the Italian archbishop, who served as the Vatican ambassador to the United States from 2011 to 2016. His reputation makes the publication Saturday of Viganò’s written “testimony” about the Theodore McCarrick affair all the more inconvenient for those in the Catholic hierarchy who tried to bury the truth about the disgraced American prelate.
The core claim in the 11-page document is that a high-powered circle of silence for years abetted McCarrick’s career, despite his well-known penchant for sexual abuse. The circle of silence, Viganò says, included the current successor of Saint Peter. In a cryptic statement to reporters on Sunday, Pope Francis refused to confirm or deny the allegations, instead urging them to “read the document carefully and judge it for yourselves.”
The Viganò testimony bears the mark of a man seething with anger and perhaps facing the mystery of death. “It is in moments of great trial that the Lord’s grace is revealed in abundance and makes His limitless mercy available to all,” the 77-year-old churchman writes near the end. “But it is granted only to those who are truly repentant.”
Either Pope Benedict XVI imposed private sanctions against McCarrick in 2009-10, barring him from celebrating public Masses and cavorting with seminarians, or he didn’t. Either McCarrick’s successor as cardinal-archbishop of Washington, Donald Wuerl, was aware of the sanctions, or he wasn’t. (Read more from “This Abuse Scandal Leads All the Way to the Vatican” HERE)