While Washington Post fact-checkers argue among themselves about whether or not the situation at the border constitutes a humanitarian crisis, the outlet reports that in Honduras another migrant caravan is preparing to start the long trek north.
“Another migrant caravan is forming in Honduras, with plans to set out next week on a journey that will once again test the immigration policies of Mexico and the United States,” the Washington Post reports.
The Post notes that, as with the previous caravan, a flier has been “circulating on Honduran social media” announcing the plan to form a new group to head north. The flier provides the location where the new caravan is gathering — San Pedro Sula, a city close to the northern Honduran border — and says the group will set out at 5 a.m. on Jan. 15. “We’re looking for refuge,” reads the flier. “In Honduras, we are being killed.”
The Mexican government is already preparing for the new caravan’s arrival at the southern border with Guatemala, interior minister Olga Sánchez Cordero said at a press conference Monday. After having failed to stop thousands of migrants from illegally crossing into the country last year, Sánchez Cordero said this time they plan to more effectively lock down the border, in part by placing guards at 370 potential crossing points, the Post reports.
Like many in the previous caravan, which included around 7,000 migrants, the Honduran migrants who manage to make it into Mexico and to its northern border to apply for asylum in the U.S. will likely end up finding themselves having to wait in Mexico while their applications are processed due to a deal between the Trump administration and the Mexican government to keep asylum seekers south of the border during the process. (For more from the author of “Another Caravan: New Migrant Group Forms, Prepares to Head North to U.S. Border” please click HERE)