Lifelong Criminal Who Assaulted Disabled Man Finally Brought to Justice

A lifelong Delaware criminal made headlines in May after surveillance footage from a Pennsylvania convenience store depicted him mocking and then assaulting a disabled man, went viral.

The incident reportedly reportedly occurred on May 10, when Barry R. Baker of Georgetown, Delaware, mocked a man with cerebral palsy outside a 7-Eleven store in West Chester.

Baker then proceeded to sucker punch the man.

The surveillance footage can be viewed here:

“This defendant is a bully,” Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan reportedly said following Baker’s arrest. “Every decent citizen should be outraged by the defendant’s conduct. The victim is to be commended for keeping his cool and notifying the police.”

“The defendant’s actions in this case are appalling,” added West Chester police chief Scott Bohn. “You wonder what would make an individual treat somebody like that.”

Baker managed to obtain his freedom — for a while, anyway — by paying 10 percent of a $25,000 surety bond.

In the days following his release, however, additional warrants were issued for “violation of his probation on theft charges” and “failure to pay back child support,” according to Chester County’s Daily Local News.

Local authorities eventually captured him at a Chester County hotel in early June, though during a court hearing afterward he claimed he had voluntarily returned to the county to turn himself in.

“I came back last night,” he told Senior Judge Ronald Nagle. “I wanted to turn myself in today.”

As noted by the Local News, however, he “had no explanation as to why he had not registered under his own name at the hotel where he was found,” and as to why he “had a number of untraceable ‘burner’ phones in the room with him.”

Two months later Baker again made headlines when he claimed a corrections officer at the Chester County Prison had assaulted him.

“Here is some more news for you,” he wrote in a handwritten letter to the Daily Local News. “Sunday night around 11:30 p.m. I was attacked by a CO while housed on PC.”

Baker then disappeared from the limelight again until late September, when he finally pleaded guilty to the charges stemming from his encounter with the disabled man months earlier.

His attorney claimed at the time that he was sorry for his actions and simply wanted to move on with his life. (For more from the author of “Lifelong Criminal Who Assaulted Disabled Man Finally Brought to Justice” please click HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.