A gunman killed two people and injured nine others late Thursday when he opened fire with a semi-automatic handgun in a Lafayette, La. movie theater before turning the weapon on himself, the city’s police chief said.
Chief Jim Craft told reporters that authorities had identified the shooter as a 58-year-old white man, but did not release his name, citing the ongoing investigation. Craft later said that the gunman had a criminal record, but had not been in trouble with the law recently. He did not elaborate further, and added that no motive had been established. Early Friday, Craft said that investigators were investigating possible addresses for the shooter in multiple Southern states.
The chief said that one of the injured victims was in critical condition and the ages of the wounded ranged from the late teens to early 60s. Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said that one victim had been released from a local hospital.
Late Thursday, authorities said they had found the gunman’s vehicle with a suspicious package inside. A bomb squad and hazmat team were called in and the area near the theater was evacuated. Minutes later, an Associated Press reporter on the scene heard a number of short bursts similar to firecrackers coming from that vicinity. Craft later said that the suspicious object was found to be harmless.
Col. Mike Edmonson of the Louisiana State Police said that there are no other suspects apart from the deceased shooter. He added that police believe the gunman fired shots only at the theater and had not waged an attack anywhere else beforehand. (Read more from “At Least 3 Dead After Gunman Opens Fire at Lafayette, La. Movie Theater” HERE)