By Washington Examiner. Several moderate Democratic House representatives are balking at impeaching President Trump as they worry doing so will have severe political consequences.
One anonymous member said he is “struggling” to see the case for impeachment and expressed concern that all of the information being used to draft articles of impeachment is “secondhand,” according to CNN.
The anonymous admissions from Democratic lawmakers comes nearly two weeks after Democratic Rep. Brenda Lawrence of Michigan told a local radio host she favors censure over impeachment. Lawrence walked back that statement after it hit national news, and she pledged to support impeachment.
“I would say, ‘Look, I am concerned about not knowing what the articles will have in them. I am concerned about the timeline of this whole impeachment process,'” one Democratic lawmaker said. “For me, right now, I am struggling to see how the evidence supports impeachment at this point.” (Read more from “Democratic Lawmaker: ‘I Am Struggling’ to See a Case for Impeachment” HERE)
Trump Declines to Take Part in ‘Baseless’ House Impeachment Inquiry
By NPR. President Trump has decided to stay out of the impeachment inquiry being conducted by the House of Representatives.
White House counsel Pat Cipollone rejected an offer from House Democrats that would have allowed the president to send counsel to represent him at future impeachment hearings.
In a short two-paragraph letter to Democrats, Cipollone said the impeachment inquiry is “completely baseless and has violated basic principles of due process and fundamental fairness.”
“House Democrats have wasted enough of America’s time with this charade,” Cipollone said. “You should end this inquiry now and not waste even more time with additional hearings.” (Read more from “Trump Declines to Take Part in ‘Baseless’ House Impeachment Inquiry” HERE)
Trump Rips ‘Fake News’ CNN, Demands Retraction over Report He Still Uses Personal Cellphone
By Fox News. President Trump went after CNN on Friday night after the anti-Trump network reported that he still uses a personal cellphone, which he insisted is “totally false.”
CNN reported on-air during “Out Front with Erin Burnett” that “multiple officials” from the Trump administration have told the network that the president continues to use his personal device to make phone calls “despite repeated warnings” by his staff and that he “doesn’t care.”
White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins told CNN anchor Erin Burnett that Trump had been repeatedly warned that his calls could be vulnerable to “foreign surveillance,” which had been a concern of the staff “since he took office” and how the ongoing impeachment inquiry has “revived” such concerns.
Moments later, the president took to Twitter and blasted the report.
Fake News @CNN is reporting that I am “still using personal cell phone for calls despite repeated security warnings.” This is totally false information and reporting. I haven’t had a personal cell phone for years. Only use government approved and issued phones. Retract!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2019
(Read more from “Trump Rips ‘Fake News’ CNN, Demands Retraction over Report He Still Uses Personal Cellphone” HERE)