Posts

Report: $5 Million Settlement Reached in Ashli Babbitt Wrongful Death Lawsuit

The Trump administration will reportedly pay $5 million to settle the wrongful death suit brought by the family of January 6 rioter Ashli Babbitt.

Babbitt was shot and killed by U.S. Capitol Police Lt. Michael Byrd when trying to storm a barricade into the House Speaker’s lobby during the Capitol Hill riot on January 6, 2021. Her supporters, including President Trump, have claimed she was dealt with excessive force while the police officer maintains that he did his duty to protect then-sitting members of the U.S. Congress. Per the Washington Post:

Babbitt’s family filed the wrongful-death lawsuit in early 2024, seeking $30 million. Lawyers for both sides told a judge this month that they had reached a settlement in principle, reversing the Justice Department’s earlier opposition in the case, which had been set for trial in July 2026.

No final deal had been signed and terms had not been disclosed at the May 2 hearing. Judge Ana C. Reyes of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia directed both sides to update the court this Thursday.

Two people briefed on the matter said the Justice Department has agreed in principle to pay just under $5 million to Babbitt’s family. The two people spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a pending court matter.

(Read more from “Report: $5 Million Settlement Reached in Ashli Babbitt Wrongful Death Lawsuit” HERE)

Mysterious Babbitt Shooting Witnesses Incited Rioters, Met Secretly With Capitol Police on January 6

Two unidentified men who incited rioters on January 6, captured video throughout the U.S. Capitol for hours, and stood feet from Air Force veteran Ashli Babbitt when she was shot are drawing new attention as the fourth anniversary of the tragic day looms.

A Blaze News video investigation found that the duo assisted and shadowed a large group of protesters from the Capitol’s West Plaza to the House Speaker’s Lobby before Babbitt was fatally shot.

The pair later met secretly with U.S. Capitol Police at the edge of Capitol grounds and shared at least one video clip as evidence before the Babbitt shooting investigation was even officially under way. Capitol Police did not make a video or audio recording of their talks with the men. One of the men sat in an unmarked squad car and showed USCP special agents at least some of his video, security footage reviewed by Blaze News showed.

The men have been the subject of intense social media speculation for some time. They warranted just a few paragraphs in the now-closed Babbitt shooting investigation conducted by the District of Columbia’s Metropolitan Police Department.

Nicknamed “Frick and Frack” by a YouTube satirist, the men have long been considered important material witnesses in the killing of Babbitt, 35, of San Diego. They have not been publicly identified, arrested by the FBI, or charged by federal prosecutors. (Read more from “Mysterious Babbitt Shooting Witnesses Incited Rioters, Met Secretly With Capitol Police on January 6” HERE)

Photo credit: Flickr