Alaska’s Revolving Door Justice at Work: Convict Charged in Elderly Couple’s Murder, Infant’s Rape

Photo Credit: AP/ADNIn 2009, Jerry Andrew Active was charged with multiple felony counts surrounding a sexual assault on an eleven year old girl. With the blessing of Judge Vanessa White, a Murkowski appointee, he pled out his case and received three years to serve for attempted felony sexual abuse of a child. Additionally, he was convicted of felony assault on a child as well as criminal trespass.

Judge White also imposed four years of suspended time on the condition of Active’s compliance with all probation terms, including good behavior.

In Alaska, a defendant is only required to serve two-thirds of his sentence as long as he doesn’t get in trouble while incarcerated. After Active was released in 2012, he managed to violate his probation on multiple occasions. The State of Alaska filed petitions to revoke his probation and a new judge, Gregory Miller, required Active to serve 120 days of his suspended sentence in January. When he violated conditions again, Judge Miller required Active to serve an additional 150 days in March.

Because Active received credit for time served, he was out of jail again this month. And here’s what allegedly happened:

A man who has been charged with killing an elderly Alaska couple and raping their 2-year-old great-granddaughter is a registered sex offender convicted of breaking into a home and assaulting an 11-year-old girl four years ago.

Jerry Andrew Active, 24, was convicted in 2010 of assaulting the girl near Dillingham, Alaska, while her family slept.

Authorities say that on Saturday, Active broke into the apartment home of Touch Chea, 71, and his wife Sorn Sreap, 73, and beat the couple to death. He also raped Sreap, police said.

He was still inside the residence when their grandson, his pregnant wife and son arrived. The grandson, Von Seng, fought Active, but the assailant managed to flee. He was arrested nearby only wearing boxer shorts, authorities said.

“He took the old, the innocent,” Seng told the Anchorage Daily News. “Come face me.”

The Daily Mail reported that the injuries sustained were gruesome:

The two-year-old was taken to hospital for a forensic physical examination, and it was discovered that she had also been physically assaulted.

She was taken to a hospital where she underwent surgery for her injuries.

Investigators were affected by the brutality and the ages of the victims, police department spokeswoman Anita Shell said.

‘They said this was the worst thing they had ever seen in their lives, and these are seasoned detectives,’ Shell said.