Ronald Reagan's Devastating Critique of the Left's Addiction Entitlements (+video)

Photo Credit: APNext Monday, October 27 marks the 50th anniversary of Ronald Reagan’s iconic “Time For Choosing” speech. It was a speech that sparked the modern Conservative Movement, ignited a fire in the hearts of conservatives, and launched Ronald Reagan’s public policy career.

This week as part of a year-long “Time for Choosing: The Next Generation” initiative, Young America’s Foundation is releasing a series of videos in conjunction with the anniversary of this significant speech. The second video focuses on entitlements.

In his 1964 speech, Reagan warned, “37 cents of every dollar earned was the tax collector’s share, and the government spent 17 million dollars a day more than the government takes in.” Think of how outraged he would be today with our current economy. The Obama administration has racked up a national debt that now exceeds 17 trillion dollars, and more than 50 percent of Americans receive some type of government assistance.

Read more from this story HERE.

FBI Probing if 3 American Teens Detained in Germany Attempted to Join ISIS

Photo Credit: Getty ImagesThe FBI says it is investigating the possibility that three American teenage girls were attempting to join the Islamic State in Syria when they were detained in Germany.

A law enforcement source told Fox News Tuesday that the girls are home in Colorado after they were tracked down in Frankfurt. The three girls are all under the age of 18 and are not expected to face charges. Two of the girls are of Somali descent and one is of Sudanese descent, according to the source.

ABC News reported that a law enforcement official said the girls were planning to travel to Syria to join militant groups. The official told ABC News the teenagers planned “to fulfill what they believe is some vision that has been put out on a slick media campaign.”

Read more from this story HERE.

Robot Can Perform Brain Surgery Through the Patient's Cheek

Photo Credit: CNETFor a percentage of epilepsy patients, medication is less effective at controlling seizures, or it doesn’t work at all. For these patients, there is another option: brain surgery. This is usually a deeply invasive procedure, wherein the section of the patient’s brain is either removed, stimulated or disconnected; afterward, recovery can take up to three months.

A robot five years in the making by researchers at Vanderbilt University may be in line to make the surgery less time consuming, less invasive and with a shorter recovery time.

The area of the brain involved in epileptic seizures is the hippocampus, which is located in the lower regions of the brain. The surgical robot developed by mechanical engineering graduate student David Comber and mechanical engineering associate professor Eric Barth enters the brain from underneath by going through the patient’s cheek, carefully negotiating gaps in the bone. This is not only a shorter route, it also avoids drilling through the skull.

The working prototype involved the development of a shape-memory alloy needle — that is, an alloy that can remember its original shape and return to it when heated after being deformed — that can operate along a curving path. The robot also needed to be able to operated from inside an MRI machine, which creates a strong magnetic field.

Read more from this story HERE.

School's Jesus Painting Finds New Home After Dispute With ACLU (+video)

Photo Credit: Fox News One year after an Ohio high school was forced to remove a religious painting from its office, local citizens have now made sure the students will still be able to see the image of Jesus.

The painting included the first verse of Psalm 23, “The Lord is my shepherd,” but John Glenn High School opted to remove it due to the threat of legal action from the ACLU.

It had been there since 1971, dedicated to a longtime teacher.

Now, the same image of Jesus can still be seen from the school in the form of a $6,000 neon sign in a nearby yard.

The effort was organized by locals who did not agree with the school having to take down the painting.

Read more from this story HERE.

American Freed After Months Of Detention In North Korea

Photo Credit: Wong Maye-E / APJeffrey Fowle, one of three Americans held by North Korea, has been released, the White House says.

Fowle, 56, who was detained in June, allegedly for leaving a Bible in his hotel room in North Korea, was home today after negotiators secured his release.

At the time, North Korean state media said he had “acted in violation of the [North Korean] law, contrary to the purpose of tourism during his stay.”

State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said Washington has tried for months to send a high-level envoy to North Korea to seek release of the three men.

Read more from this story HERE.

AP-GfK Poll: Most Expect GOP Victory in November

Photo Credit: AP / Matt RourkeTwo weeks before Election Day, most of the nation’s likely voters now expect the Republican Party to take control of the U.S. Senate, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll. And by a growing margin, they say that’s the outcome they’d like to see.

But the survey suggests many will cringe when they cast those ballots. Most likely voters have a negative impression of the Republican Party, and 7 in 10 are dissatisfied by its leaders in Congress.

The Democrats win few accolades themselves. Impressions of the party among likely voters have grown more negative in the past month. In fact, Democrats are more trusted than the GOP on just two of nine top issues, the poll showed.

The economy remains the top issue for likely voters — 91 percent call it “extremely” or “very” important. And the GOP has increased its advantage as the party more trusted to handle the issue to a margin of 39 percent to 31 percent.

With control of the Senate at stake, both parties say they are relying on robust voter-turnout operations — and monster campaign spending — to lift their candidates in the final days. But the poll suggests any appeals they’ve made so far haven’t done much to boost turnout among those already registered. The share who report that they are certain to vote in this year’s contests has risen just slightly since September, and interest in news about the campaign has held steady.

Read more from this story HERE.

Study Shows Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives to "Unfriend" Someone Over Politics

Photo Credit: TownHallA new study by the Pew Research Center has found that people who identify as “liberal” in their political beliefs are more likely than conservatives to have unfriended someone (either in the online or real-life sense) over a disagreement in political leanings.

According to the study, while self-described “consistent liberals” were more likely than conservatives to have friends who have differing political opinions, they were also more likely to block those person’s posts from social media or to unfriend them altogether.

Consistent liberals were the most likely group to block or unfriend someone because they disagreed with their political postings, with 44 percent saying they had “hidden, blocked, defriended, or stopped following someone” on Facebook due to their political postings. Only roughly one-third (31 percent) of consistent conservatives had done the same — although this might be attributable to lower levels of ideological diversity in their online ecosystem.

Read more from this story HERE.

U.S. Ebola Crisis Is A Media Myth, Claims Obama

Photo Credit: Daily CallerBy Neil Munro.

President Barack Obama claimed Oct. 20 that the left-leaning established media invented the Ebola crisis that has deeply damaged his chances of keeping the Democratic majority in the Senate.

“The Ebola crisis… [which] has been the only story here in the United States for the last couple of weeks, is not an outbreak and epidemic here,” Obama complained to his donors at a Chicago fundraiser.

“To give you some sense of perspective, around 20,000 to 30,000 [American] people die of flu every year. So far we’ve got one person dying of Ebola.”

Even though the economy is growing, Obama claimed, “people are still anxious” about the Middle East, Russia’s slow-motion invasion of Ukraine, the Islamic jihadis in Iraq and the media-magnified fear of Ebola.

But “we’ve had one case of a person dying from Ebola that brought it in from outside,” he said.

Read more from this story HERE.

_________________________________________________________

Pentagon Orders 30-Member Ebola Response Team

By Luis Martinez.

The Pentagon has ordered that a 30-person military medical team be prepared to be put on standby to quickly assist the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with its Ebola response in the United States if needed.

The move followed a request to the Defense Department made Saturday by the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the CDC.

Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon Press Secretary, said the move was “an added prudent measure to ensure our nation is ready to respond quickly, effectively, and safely in the event of additional Ebola cases in the United States.”

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered U.S. Northern Command Command “to prepare and train a 30-person expeditionary medical support team that could, if required, provide short-notice assistance to civilian medical professionals in the United States,” Kirby said.

Read more from this story HERE.

_________________________________________________________

Photo Credit: TownHallUnreal: Medical Society of NY Tells Doctors to ‘Follow Twitter’ to Stay Informed on Ebola

By Cortney O’Brien.

In its weekly update for New York State physicians, the Medical Society of the State of New York wanted to ensure that the doctors within their network were well informed on the threat of Ebola. So, MSSNY President Andrew Kleinman, M.D., told them to make sure they were following the society on Twitter.

MSSNY is here to help you. As we communicate regularly with key New York State officials, and closely monitor the worldwide and U.S. efforts regarding efforts to contain the outbreak, please follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest scientific and other important information. Continuous updates are being posted to our Twitter and Facebook feeds when important new information arises, which is many times per day.

If you are not on Twitter or Facebook already, you need to follow us! (If you need help setting up an account, please contact [email protected]). And please “re-tweet” and “re-post” these important updates to those physicians and other care providers who follow you.

Read more from this story HERE.

_________________________________________________________

Photo Credit: John Moore / Getty ImagesEbola Doctors at Breaking Point: ‘This Constant Feeling That the Boat’s Sinking’

By Makiko Kitamura and Naomi Kresge.

At 3:30 a.m. in the world’s biggest Ebola treatment center, Daniel Lucey found the outbreak reduced to its essentials: patients lying on mattresses on the floor and vomiting in the dark, visible only by the wavering flashlight beam of a single volunteer doctor.

“I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel,” said Lucey, a physician and professor from Georgetown University who is halfway through a five-week tour in Liberia with Medecins Sans Frontieres, the medical charity known in English as Doctors Without Borders. “The epidemic is still getting worse,” he said by phone between shifts.

That’s an increasingly urgent challenge for MSF and the global health community. As fear spreads in the U.S. over transmission of the virus to two nurses in a modern Dallas hospital, the main fight against the outbreak is still being waged by volunteers like Lucey half a world away.

MSF has been the first — and often only — line of defense against Ebola in West Africa. The group raised the alarm on March 31, months ahead of the World Health Organization. Now, after treating almost a third of the roughly 9,000 confirmed Ebola cases in Africa — and faced with a WHO warning of perhaps 10,000 new infections a week by December — MSF is reaching its limits.

Read more from this story HERE.

Police Say Driver Who Hit Two Canadian Soldiers Before Being Shot Was 'Radicalized'

Photo Credit: REUTERS / Christinne MuschiA Quebec man who struck two Canadian military members with his car before being fatally shot by police Monday had been “radicalized,” authorities said.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said that Martin Rouleau, 25, of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, was known to provincial and federal law enforcement agencies, according to CBC News. Police declined to provide further details, citing the ongoing investigation.

A statement from the office of Prime Minister Stephen Harper late Monday said that authorities “have confirmed that there are indications that this is clearly an individual who has been radicalized … Canadians should remain vigilant.” Harper was briefed about the incident by the head of Canada’s national police force, the head of the military and his national security adviser.

One neighbor told reporters that Rouleau stopped wearing jeans and started wearing a tunic and that he changed over the last year and was alone a lot. Another neighbor said Rouleau converted to Islam a little over a year ago.

Rouleau was shot after striking two members of the military in a parking lot mall near Montreal. He died a few hours later.

Read more from this story HERE.

Kerry, Campaigning Against ISIS Ideology, Meets With Muslim Leader Who Enforces Shari'a Punishments

Photo Credit: Brunei government / InfofotoSecretary of State John Kerry met with several Southeast Asian leaders on Monday to promote the anti-ISIS campaign including the need to delegitimize its ideology. The people he met with include a Muslim ruler who less than six months ago introduced the death penalty for apostasy, stoning for adultery and limb amputation for theft.

The controversial shari’a-based penal code was enacted by the Sultan of Brunei on May 1. Invoking the same shari’a obligations, the jihadist group calling itself the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL) enforces similar punishments in areas under its control.

President Obama, Kerry and other administration officials repeatedly contend that there is nothing “Islamic” about ISIS or the atrocities it is committing in Syria and Iraq.

Kerry’s meeting with Brunei’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah was one of several bilaterals held in Jakarta on the sidelines of the inauguration of Indonesia’s new leader, President Joko Widodo.

The sultan’s office said in a brief statement afterwards that the two had “discussed bilateral issues and cooperation between Brunei and the United States, and exchanged views on regional and international matters of mutual concern.”

Read more from this story HERE.