Perez: U.S. Should Stump Up Billions to Curb Central America Migration

Photo Credit: REUTERS / Jorge Dan LopezThe United States should provide billions of dollars to help Central American nations curb the flow of illegal migrants, Guatemalan President Otto Perez said, and his government warns the problem will get worse if Washington fails to help.

Fleeing violence, trying to reach relatives already in the United States or seeking jobs, record numbers of child migrants from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador have been stopped at the southern U.S. border this year, causing widespread alarm.

Last month, the three countries pitched Washington an ambitious development plan to confront the issue.

They want to pump about $10 billion into the region to create jobs and lift living standards, with the bulk of funding coming from the United States, Perez told Reuters.

He hopes the plan could come up with about $2 billion a year from 2015 to 2019, a sum he equated to roughly 10 percent of annual U.S. spending on border security and immigration enforcement.

Read more from this story HERE.

Senator: Emails Reveal EPA, Green Group in ‘Beyond Cozy’ Relationship

Photo Credit: Pete Souza / White HouseRepublican lawmakers say the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency enjoys a “beyond cozy” relationship with a liberal environmental action group that seeks to reshape national energy policies in a way that would hurt American businesses and families.

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., the top Republican on the Environment and Public Works Committee, told The Daily Signal that the Natural Resources Defense Council played an “absolutely inappropriate” role in drafting the EPA’s new carbon emissions plan.

“The EPA has been one of the least transparent agencies I have ever seen, but it’s become apparent that their lack of transparency is to hide the influence that an organization so heavily focused on undermining U.S. businesses and families has at EPA,” Vitter said.

Vitter and House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., have directed staff to look into whether the EPA broke federal law in developing the carbon emissions regulations.

Read more from this story HERE.

New Benghazi Indictment Confirms Computers with Classified Information Stolen

Photo Credit: ReutersAn indictment Tuesday of a Libyan militant already behind bars for the 2012 Benghazi attack that killed four Americans confirms that computers with sensitive and classified information were stolen from the consulate during the assault.

Fox News was first to report in July that at least two computers were stolen from the consulate. While the State Department initially dismissed Fox’s report, the new, 18-count indictment against Ahmed Abu Khattala confirms that sensitive and classified information was lost, including the location of the top secret CIA annex.

Abu Khattala, 43, the first militant to be prosecuted for the Benghazi violence, had initially been charged with conspiracy to provide support to terrorists, resulting in death. U.S. officials had described that initial, one-count indictment as a placeholder to allow for him to be brought into court and for a grand jury to hear more evidence.

The new indictment does not add to the public account of how the account unfolded but it does include multiple counts that make Abu Khattala eligible for the death penalty if convicted, including murder of an internationally protected person and killing a person during an armed attack on a federal facility. It also accuses him, among other charges, of providing material support to terrorists, malicious destruction of property and attempted murder of an officer and employee of the U.S.

The indictment also alleges rocket propelled grenades, AK 47s and semi-automatic assault rifles were used at the consulate, and then mortars at the Annex during the third wave of the assault –a level of firepower that would contradict the administration’s initial explanation that a demonstration had simply turned violent.

Read more from this story HERE.

New Ebola Cases May Soon Reach 10,000 a Week, Officials Predict

Photo Credit: Daniel Berehulak for The New York Times
By SOMINI SENGUPTA.

Schools have shut down, elections have been postponed, mining and logging companies have withdrawn, farmers have abandoned their fields. The Ebola virus ravaging West Africa has renewed the risk of political instability in a region barely recovering from civil war, United Nations officials said Tuesday, hours after the World Health Organization reported that new cases could reach 10,000 a week by December — 10 times the current rate.

The head of the new Ebola Emergency Response Mission, Anthony Banbury, told the Security Council that none of the three most heavily affected countries — Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea — is adequately prepared. Only 4,300 treatment beds will be available by Dec. 1, according to current projections, and even those would not have an adequate number of staff members. The acceleration of new cases, if not curbed, could easily overwhelm them.

Mr. Banbury painted a picture of substantial need. Only 50 safe-burial teams are on the ground, he said, but 500 are required. They need protective gear and about a thousand vehicles. So far, Mr. Banbury said, the mission has delivered 69 vehicles.

Read more from this story HERE.

_______________________________________________________________

Photo Credit: RicochetCDC, Rife with Political Correctness, Founders in Face of Real Crisis

By Paul A. Rahe.

I have lived long enough, now, to have seen it again and again. Something goes badly wrong involving a corporation, a university, a religious denomination, or a branch of government, and the executive in charge or a designated minion goes before the press to engage in what is euphemistically called “damage control.” The spokesman does not level with the public. He or she tries to be reassuring and — more often than not — by lying, succeeds in undermining confidence in the institution he or she represents.

This is what is now going on with the Centers for Disease Control. In recent years, this well-respected outfit has branched out, opining in a politically correct manner on one issue after another outside its proper remit. Now it is faced with a matter absolutely central to its responsibilities — actual disease control — and it flips and flops and flounders because the ultimate boss, the President of the United States, cannot bring himself to put limits on contacts between Americans and the citizens of the countries in Africa where there is an Ebola epidemic.

There is only one way to prevent the spread of an epidemic, and that is quarantine. No medical professional with any sense would suggest that we should admit individuals from Liberia to the United States at this time, and no medical professional worth his or her salt would say that we can test for the disease when the prospective visitor arrives at Immigration and Passport Control. Like most diseases, Ebola has an incubation period. Early on, there are no symptoms: none at all. There is no reliable way to tell whether those arriving at our ports of entry have contracted the disease or not. If we do not want it coming here, for a time, we have to keep everyone out who has been in that neck of the woods.

And what are we told by the authorities? That cutting off contact would contribute to the spread of the epidemic. “Just how?” we are entitled to ask. But no explanation is given because, of course, there is none. We were also told that the disease would not come here. And, when it did come here, we were told that it could easily be contained. And, when it was not contained and a medical professional wearing all the proper gear came down with the disease, we were told that he did not follow the protocol.

Read more from this story HERE.

_______________________________________________________________

Photo Credit: Mohammed Elshamy / Anadolu Agency / Getty Ebola death rate up to 70pc – World Health Organisation

The death rate in the current Ebola outbreak has increased to 70pc, a World Health Organisation (WHO) official has said.

WHO assistant director-general Dr Bruce Aylward said the 70pc death rate marked “a high mortality disease” in any circumstance.

He added that the UN health agency is still focused on trying to isolate sick people and provide treatment as early as possible.

Previously, the WHO had said the death rate was around 50pc.

The announcement came as an international member of the United Nations’ medical team who was infected with Ebola in Liberia has died despite “intensive medical procedures”, a German hospital said.

Read more from this story HERE.

_______________________________________________________________

Photo Credit: U.S. Army Africa Lt. Col. Michael IndovinaGeneral Says No Soldiers Have Asked Out of Ebola Deployments

By Richard Sisk.

The Army will stick to the plan to begin ramping up deployments to West Africa later this month despite concerns expressed by top health officials about increased risk to soldiers, Gen. Dan Allyn, the new Army vice chief of staff, said Monday.

“We’ve been taking an aggressive stance” in preparing units slated to deploy in terms of training and equipment, Allyn said, including “aggressively communicating” to families of the troops the steps taken by the Army to mitigate the risks.

To date, there have been no instances of soldiers refusing to deploy to West Africa or asking to be removed from the lists slated for deployment. “Absolutely not,” Allyn said, stressing that the troops “will not be in direct contact” with Ebola victims or those suspected of having contracted the virus.

About 450 troops, including 100 Marines from a Marine Air-Ground Task Force based in Moron, Spain, were currently on the ground in West Africa. Most of the troops were in Liberia to assist local authorities and prepare for the eventual deployment of up to 4,000 troops to contain the spread of the virus that has hit hardest in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone.

Headquarters elements of the 101st Airborne Division led by Maj. Gen. Gary Volesky, the division commander, and specialized units of combat engineers, military police and nuclear, biological and chemical warfare specialists were expected to begin moving to West Africa in late October.

Read more from this story HERE.

Mexico Says Students Not Among Dead in Mass Grave

Photo Credit: mountainxNone of the 28 bodies found in a mass grave in restive southwestern Mexico belongs to a group of 43 missing students, Mexico’s attorney general said on Tuesday.

The students, who are feared to have been massacred by police in league with gang members, went missing in the southwestern state of Guerrero on Sept. 26.

The discovery of a series of mass graves near the town of Iguala, where the students went missing, has sent shockwaves throughout Mexico…

Read more from this story HERE.

On The Precipice Of A Breakdown In Confidence

Here is the most fundamental idea behind game theory, the one concept you MUST understand to be an effective game player. Ready?

You are not a super genius, and we are not idiots. The people you are playing with and against are just as smart as you are. Not smarter. But just as smart. If you think that you are seeing more deeply into a repeated-play strategic interaction (a game!) than we are, you are wrong. And ultimately it will cost you dearly. But if there is a mutually acceptable decision point – one that both you and we can agree upon, full in the knowledge that you know that we know that you know what’s going on – that’s an equilibrium. And that’s a decision or outcome or policy that’s built to last.

Fair warning, this is an “Angry Ben” email, brought on by the US government’s “communication policy” on Ebola, which is a mirror image of the US government’s “communication policy” on markets and monetary policy, which is a mirror image of the US government’s “communication policy” on ISIS and foreign policy. We are being told what to think about Ebola and QE and ISIS. Not by some heavy-handed pronouncement as you might find in North Korea or some Soviet-era Ministry, but in the kinder gentler modern way, by a Wise Man or Woman of Science who delivers words carefully chosen for their effect in constructing social expectations and behaviors.

The words are not lies. But they’re only not-lies because if they were found to be lies that would be counterproductive to the social policy goals, not because there’s any fundamental objection to lying. The words are chosen for their truthiness, to use Stephen Colbert’s wonderful term, not their truthfulness. The words are chosen in order to influence us as manipulable objects, not to inform us as autonomous subjects.

It’s always for the best of intentions. It’s always to prevent a panic or to maintain confidence or to maintain social stability. All good and noble ends. But it’s never a stable equilibrium. It’s never a lasting legislative or regulatory peace. The policy always crumbles in Emperor’s New Clothes fashion because we-the-people or we-the-market have not been brought along to make a self-interested, committed decision. Instead the Powers That Be – whether that’s the Fed or the CDC or the White House – take the quick and easy path of selling us a strategy as if they were selling us a bar of soap.

Read more from this story HERE.

White House Approving and Disapproving Content in News Reports…

Photo Credit: White HouseWhite House journalists are creating an alternative system for distributing their media “pool” reports in response to the Obama administration’s involvement in approving and disapproving certain content in official reports.

A small group of reporters initiated an online forum this month in which they shared “pool” information among themselves, without White House involvement. The forum was set up by the White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA), which negotiates with the White House’s press staff over access for journalists.

Pool reports — those summaries of the president’s public appearances that go to the news media at large and are used in countless news stories — are filed by a rotating group of journalists whose work is intended to be free of content changes by the White House.

The pool journalists, however, must submit their reports to the White House press office, which distributes them via e-mail to hundreds of news organizations and others. The White House maintains the list of recipients.

Reporters have complained that the Obama White House exploits its role as distributor to demand changes in pool reports and that the press office has delayed or refused to distribute some reports until they are amended to officials’ satisfaction.

Read more from this story HERE.

Virginia Excuses Troubled Abortionist’s Facility, and 6 Others, from Meeting Health and Safety Requirements

Photo Credit: LifeSiteNewsA troubled abortion facility whose owner is so disreputable that even the head of the National Abortion Federation thinks he should be shut down, has been granted a variance by the Virginia Health Department allowing it to avoid compliance with new minimum facility safety standards.

In fact, the owner of Virginia Women’s Wellness, the notorious New Jersey abortionist Steven Chase Brigham, lost his last medical license last week when the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners voted to revoke his license due to a pattern of deception and dangerous, abusive practices that have characterized his 30-year abortion career.

Now, because New Jersey does not allow unlicensed practitioners to operate medical facilities, Brigham has 90 days to divest himself of ownership in the eight abortion facilities he operates in New Jersey or shut them down.

Brigham was previously ordered never again have anything to do with abortion facilities in Pennsylvania after he continued to operate substandard facilities long after that that state revoked his medical license. Last year, the state of Maryland shut down his four abortion offices in that state after discovering a slew of violations that endangered patients, including the death of Maria Santiago at his seedy abortion mill that was run out of a residential condo complex. Brigham’s New York medical license was revoked in 1994 and Florida followed suit in 1996.

“If Brigham is unfit to operate abortion facilities in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland, he certainly isn’t fit to operate in Virginia or any other state,” said Troy Newman, president of Operation Rescue, which has worked for over ten years to expose Brigham’s abortion abuses and bring him to justice. “Yet, Virginia’s current radical pro-abortion administration is not only allowing Brigham’s two abortion clinics stay open in that state, but has issued one of them a variance that excuses it from complying with minimum safety standards. It’s just unbelievable that state authorities could be that irresponsible with women’s lives.”

Read more from this story HERE.

Ft. Hood Murderer's Attorney: "I Don't Know Where They Come Up With Workplace Violence"

Photo Credit: TownHallLast night on The Kelly File Hassan’s current attorney, John Galligan, said he doesn’t understand where the classification of “workplace violence” comes from in this case.

“I don’t know where they come up with the term ‘work place violence.’ I’ve been in the Army 30 years, I’ve been in the practice of law for almost 35 years, work place violence was not the crime for which he was charged, it is not a punishable offense under the UCMJ and it’s certainly not an aggravating factor that would warrant the death penalty. Nidal Hasan was charged with mass murder,” Galligan said, adding the government had the option to charge him with terrorism and didn’t…

Read more from this story HERE.

Apple, Facebook To Women Employees: Keep Working, We'll Pay To Freeze Your Eggs

Photo Credit: BEN BIRCHALL / PA WIRE VIA AP FILEBy Chanelle Bessette.

Facebook and Apple AAPL have both announced an uncommon program to help their women employees lean all the way in. The tech giants will now cover the cost of egg-freezing treatments for women (and their male partners) who want to delay their family plans in favor of advancing their careers.

Facebook began their program in January of this year, and Apple will begin offering the perk in early 2015. The oocyte cryopreservation procedure currently costs an estimated $10,000, with an average additional cost of $500 per year to maintain frozen egg storage. The companies, NBC News reports, will each offer up to $20,000 for the procedure under their health benefit programs for fertility and surrogacy.

Read more from this story HERE.

_____________________________________________________________

Perk Up: Facebook and Apple Now Pay for Women to Freeze Eggs

By DANIELLE FRIEDMAN.

Two Silicon Valley giants now offer women a game-changing perk: Apple and Facebook will pay for employees to freeze their eggs.

Facebook recently began covering egg freezing, and Apple will start in January, spokespeople for the companies told NBC News. The firms appear to be the first major employers to offer this coverage for non-medical reasons.

“Having a high-powered career and children is still a very hard thing to do,” said Brigitte Adams, an egg-freezing advocate and founder of the patient forum Eggsurance.com. By offering this benefit, companies are investing in women, she said, and supporting them in carving out the lives they want.

When successful, egg freezing allows women to put their fertility on ice, so to speak, until they’re ready to become parents. But the procedure comes at a steep price: Costs typically add up to at least $10,000 for every round, plus $500 or more annually for storage.

Read more from this story HERE.