LAPD Chief Concerned About Fatal Shooting of Unarmed Man in Venice [+video]

CortijoFuneral1_400Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck said Wednesday he was “very concerned” by an officer’s fatal shooting of an unarmed homeless man in Venice, saying he had not yet seen any evidence that would justify the shooting.

Beck said he had reviewed a security tape showing the incident, but did not detail what it showed. He cautioned that the investigation was still in its early stages, but said that so far, “I don’t see the supporting evidence that I normally would.”

“Any time an unarmed person is shot by a Los Angeles police officer, it takes extraordinary circumstances to justify that,” he said. “I have not see those extraordinary circumstances at this point” . . .

The man, whom friends said was known by the nickname “Dizzle,” was described as a transient. He was in his 20s, L.A. County coroner’s officials said.

About 11:30 p.m., officers with the LAPD’s Pacific Division responded to a call from an employee at a local business reporting that a man was harassing customers near Windward and Pacific avenues. (Read more from “LAPD Chief Concerned About Fatal Shooting of Unarmed Man in Venice” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.