A Democratic candidate for North Dakota’s only open House seat suspended his campaign on Sunday after pressure from his party to step aside for a pro-abortion candidate.
Mark Haugen, a pro-life Democrat, shared his resignation announcement on Twitter. He told local outlets that he “doesn’t see a viable path forward to winning the race” for North Dakota’s seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. A pro-abortion candidate, former Miss America Cara Mund, recently entered the race last month.
“When the Supreme Court decision came out, that further kind of solidified that there may be some issues here with my candidacy. I’ve been pro-life since the 1990s. I never hid it. I ran for the Legislature in 1996,” Haugen told local outlet KFYR. He added that he received several phone calls from Democrats asking him to consider pulling out of the race, especially after Mund announced her candidacy in recent weeks.
KFYR noted that Mund is running as a pro-abortion Independent and must submit 1,000 signatures to the Secretary of State’s office to qualify for the November ballot. (Read more from “Pro-Life Democrat Says Party Pressured Him to Suspend Campaign for Pro-Abortion Opponent” HERE)
Photo credit: Flickr
Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.