Hillary Clinton seemed visibly agitated on Tuesday after a reporter asked if her daughter’s continuing involvement on the Clinton Foundation board would present a conflict of interest if Clinton is elected president.
The reporter asked the Democratic nominee, “If Chelsea Clinton does stay on the foundation’s board — which the foundation has said very definitively that she will, or that that’s the plan currently — do you believe that could raise legitimate conflict questions, and does that mean –“
“No, I do not,” Clinton snapped. “I’ve said over and over again, doesn’t matter how many times you ask me, and how you ask me. These issues will be decided after the election, and we will decide the appropriate way forward.”
Clinton defended her family charity by insisting that every donor was disclosed, but she acknowledged that a lot of the work will have to be “spun off” because of support from foreign governments.
“We’re going to do what is right and proper to make sure that there is not even a question,” she said. “Let’s not pretend there will be conflicts, because there were not.”
During an ABC News interview with David Muir, the former secretary of state said that her husband, former President Bill Clinton, should not have to step down from his position before the election is over.
“I don’t think there are conflicts of interest,” she said. “I know that that’s what has been alleged and never proven. But nevertheless, I take it seriously.”
While Bill Clinton announced his plans to depart the Clinton Foundation board and stop raising money for the foundation if his wife becomes president as a means of addressing the “legitimate concerns about potential conflicts of interest,” Chelsea Clinton said she would not follow suit.
“As recently as this summer, the foundation was discussing with some allies plans for Chelsea Clinton to leave the board, along with former President Bill Clinton, if Mrs. Clinton should win,” The Wall Street Journal reported. “But on Wednesday [Aug. 24], foundation spokesman Craig Minassian said Chelsea Clinton plans to stay on the board.”
An Associated Press report late last month revealed that during Clinton’s term as secretary of state, more that half of those she met with outside the government had given money to the Clinton Foundation.
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has called the Clinton Foundation “the most corrupt enterprise in political history.”
His running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, has said the foundation should be “immediately shut down.” (For more from the author of “Hillary Cuts off Reporter After Being Asked About Clinton Foundation Conflicts” please click HERE)