By Breitbart. President Donald Trump said Monday that talks with the Taliban about peace with Afghanistan were over, citing the terrorist attack last week in Kabul.
“They’re dead as far as I’m concerned,” Trump said when asked about the proposed talks with Taliban leaders.
Trump spoke to reporters as he left the White House, after he canceled a meeting scheduled with the Taliban at Camp David for Sunday.
The president called the Taliban attacks “a big mistake.”
He said that the United States had escalated attacks against the Taliban in response to the terrorist attack that killed 12 people as well as one U.S. soldier and one Romanian solder in Kabul. (Read more from “Donald Trump Escalates War with Taliban, Peace Talks Are ‘Dead’” HERE)
After Trump Calls off Talks, Afghanistan Braces for Violence
By The New York Times. President Trump’s decision to break off peace talks with the Taliban, at least for now, left Afghanistan bracing for a bloody prelude to national elections this month, while the administration declined on Sunday to rule out a withdrawal of American troops without a peace accord.
In a round of television interviews, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed an attack by the Taliban for the cancellation of talks at Camp David this weekend that the administration had expected would lead to the signing of a peace agreement.
Mr. Pompeo said that the Taliban had “tried to gain negotiating advantage by conducting terror attacks inside the country,’’ resulting in the death of an American soldier in Kabul. “We’re going to walk away from a deal if others try to use violence to achieve better ends in a negotiation,’’ he said. (Read more from “After Trump Calls off Talks, Afghanistan Braces for Violence” HERE)