Democrat Under Investigation for Pulling Fire Alarm to Delay Vote to Avoid Gov’t Shutdown

Democrat Under Investigation for Pulling Fire Alarm to Delay Vote to Avoid Gov’t Shutdown

By Breitbart. Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY) ripped down two signs warning a second floor door in the Cannon House Office Building was for emergency use only before pulling the fire alarm and running out through a different door on a different floor, Breitbart News has learned exclusively.

Multiple sources familiar with the investigation into Bowman pulling the fire alarm in the House, which triggered a full scale law enforcement and emergency services response leading to the evacuation of the building, told Breitbart News exclusively that Bowman ripped two signs down and threw then on the ground first.

The sources familiar with the investigation provided Breitbart News with photographs of the scene of the alleged crime later after the emergency door had been restored after the damage Bowman did to it.

In the photos of the double doors with glass windows, there are clearly two giant red signs on the door—they both say “EMERGENCY EXIT ONLY—PUSH UNTIL ALARM SOUNDS (3 SECONDS) DOOR WILL UNLOCK IN 30 SECONDS.”

There is also another sign on a stand in front of the door that makes it clear this is an “EMERGENCY EXIT ONLY.” (Read more from “Democrat Under Investigation for Pulling Fire Alarm to Delay Vote to Avoid Gov’t Shutdown” HERE)

________________________________________________

NY Democrat Sets off Fire Alarm During Shutdown Talks

By Bloomberg. A fire alarm went off in a Capitol Hill building Saturday, adding to the tension as US lawmakers worked to hash out a last-minute deal to avoid a government shutdown.

Representative Jamaal Bowman, a Democrat from New York, is accused of pulling a fire alarm in the Cannon House Office Building, where some members of Congress have their offices. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said he would seek an ethics investigation into the incident, which Bowman said was a “mistake.”

“This should not go without punishment,” McCarthy told reporters.

Bowman told reporters he had been trying to open a door. “It was a mistake. That’s all it was,” he said. “McCarthy is trying to weaponize an innocent mistake.”

“I want to be very clear, this was not me, in any way, trying to delay any vote,” Bowman said in a statement late Saturday. “It was the exact opposite — I was trying urgently to get to a vote, which I ultimately did and joined my colleagues in a bipartisan effort to keep our government open.” (Read more from “NY Democrat Sets off Fire Alarm During Shutdown Talks” HERE)

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

City Sued for Making Race a Qualification for Commissioners

The city of Asheville, N.C., has found itself on defense, in a federal courtroom, for requiring that members of a city commission be of certain races.

Officials with the Pacific Legal Foundation have filed a complaint in U.S. District Court in Asheville on behalf of John P. Miall and several others against the city, its manager and its mayor. . .

The problem is if an applicant isn’t the right race, he or she isn’t even considered. . .

The commission was created by the city in 2018, and its purpose is to “promote and improve human relations and achieve equity among all citizens in the city by carrying out the city’s human relations program.”

Then it turned racist, with a scheme demanding that six of the members are required to be “African-Americans,” and another two “Latinx.” (Read more from “City Sued for Making Race a Qualification for Commissioners” HERE)

Photo credit: Flickr

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

Democrat Governor Says Border ‘Is Too Open’ and Demands ‘Limit’ on Crossings as NY Struggles With Migrant Crisis

The migrant crisis in New York is so bad that even Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul is ramping up her attacks on US border policies, demanding “a limit on who can come across’’ and more agents to nab illegals.

Hochul targeted Congress in comments Sunday but still risked the wrath of the Biden administration as it grapples with the crisis wreaking mayhem in the Big Apple and across the country.

“It is too open right now,’’ Hochul flatly told CBS’s “Face the Nation’’ of the country’s southern border with Mexico — where a record-setting 260,000-plus migrants crossed over just last month.

“We want [Congress] to have a limit on who can come across the border,’’ said the governor, who has been criticized in the past for going too easy on the White House over the debacle.

“People coming from all over the world are finding their way through, simply saying they need asylum, and the majority of them seem to be ending up in the streets of New York, and that is a real problem for New York City,” she said. (Read more from “Democrat Governor Says Border ‘Is Too Open’ and Demands ‘Limit’ on Crossings as NY Struggles With Migrant Crisis” HERE)

Photo credit: Flickr

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

Biden DOJ’s Response to Pregnancy Center Attacks Shows ‘Double Standard,’ Pro-Life Advocates and Legal Experts Say

In the wake of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, pregnancy centers, churches and abortion clinics have been hit with a wave of violence, but pro-life advocates and legal experts who spoke with the Daily Caller News Foundation raised concerns that the Department of Justice (DOJ) is applying a “double standard” when investigating these crimes.

Over 100 churches, pregnancy centers and their staff have been firebombed, vandalized, graffitied, assaulted and intimidated since the leak of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs opinion in May 2022, according to a May 2023 report from the Family Research Center. Yet the DOJ has failed to use the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) Act, which “prohibits threats of force, obstruction and property damage intended to interfere with reproductive health care services” and places of religious worship, to charge the individuals responsible, despite going after dozens of incidents targeting abortion clinics, according to advocates and legal experts that spoke with the DCNF.

“We have well over 300 churches, Catholic churches, that have been everything from firebombed, robbed and spray painted, alongside pregnancy care centers as well,” Tom McClusky, CatholicVote’s director of Government Affairs, told the DCNF. “And I believe the only time that the FACE Act has been used is for some people down in Florida and the Justice Department will not verify a [Freedom Of Information Act] request asking how many times has this been used.”

Rev. Jim Harden, president of the pro-life organization CompassCare, which was firebombed by pro-abortion activists in 2022, told the DCNF that he believed “without hesitation” the DOJ’s behavior “is a double standard.” He also noted the recent conviction of a woman, who spray-painted “LIARS” on one of the organization’s signs in New York’s Erie County. (Read more from “Biden DOJ’s Response to Pregnancy Center Attacks Shows ‘Double Standard,’ Pro-Life Advocates and Legal Experts Say” HERE)

Photo credit: Flickr

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

The Supreme Court Could Weigh In on Whether Colleges’ Speech Police Are Legal

The Supreme Court could weigh in on the constitutionality of so-called bias response teams at colleges in the U.S., which free speech organizations say are used to discriminate against political viewpoints and to chill free speech.

Bias response teams are systems created to monitor alleged biased speech on college campuses, which often end up with students reporting other students for politically disfavored speech, according to the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE). Students are then brought before administrators in what can be a long-drawn-out process that discourages students from speaking their minds and expressing disfavored viewpoints, which free speech advocates argue violates the First Amendment.

The Alumni Free Speech Alliance, a group of over a dozen free speech alumni organizations, alleges that bias response teams are used to target individuals and often cause students to self-censor, resulting in less intellectual freedom on campuses. The groups filed an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in support of advocate group Speech First, which is suing Virginia Tech over its bias-response team.

“In history, it’s always repressive regimes that pick a scapegoat and sometimes not even with aforethought. It just happens they rile up the crowds against them. And that’s what these bias systems are used for,” Chuck Davis, president of the Alumni Free Speech Alliance, told the DCNF. (Read more from “The Supreme Court Could Weigh In on Whether Colleges’ Speech Police Are Legal” HERE)

Photo credit: Flickr

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

House Dems ‘Expect’ Ukraine Aid Vote After Shutdown Averted

Leaders of the House Democrats said they “expect” House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) to queue up a Ukraine aid vote following the passage of a short-term spending bill that averted a government shutdown.

The joint statement, released by the office of House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) on Saturday, was quickly referred to as a “side deal” with Democrats by some Republicans who opposed the 45-day continuing resolution.

“When the House returns, we expect Speaker McCarthy to advance a bill to the House Floor for an up-or-down vote that supports Ukraine, consistent with his commitment to making sure that Vladimir Putin, Russia and authoritarianism are defeated,” the joint statement said. “We must stand with the Ukrainian people until victory is won.”

The statement was issued by Jeffries, Democratic Whip Katherine Clark (D-MA), Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar (D-CA), and Vice Chair Ted Lieu (D-CA). (Read more from “House Dems ‘Expect’ Ukraine Aid Vote After Shutdown Averted” HERE)

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

Speaker McCarthy Responds to Ouster Threat: ‘I’ll Survive’

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) flashed confidence in his ability to prevail over an effort to remove him as speaker following the passage of a short-term spending bill that averted a government shutdown.

During a CBS News interview on Sunday, “Face the Nation” anchor Margaret Brennan asked McCarthy to respond to Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) announcing that he intends to file a “motion to vacate” against McCarthy this coming week.

“That’s nothing new. He’s tried to do that from the moment I ran for [the] office,” McCarthy said. “Yes, I’ll survive,” he added when pressed to respond to the latest threat.

Gaetz, who appeared on multiple Sunday morning TV shows, announced that McCarthy would face a motion to vacate this coming week after the House voted 335-91 to pass a short-term spending bill with the support of Democrats. (Read more from “Speaker McCarthy Responds to Ouster Threat: ‘I’ll Survive’” HERE)

Photo credit: Flickr

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

Exposed: Wires to Hunter From Beijing; Bidens Claimed They Didn’t Get ‘One Cent’

Hunter Biden denied receiving “one cent” from his family’s deal with BHR Partners associate Jonathan Li, a video from October 2019 shows.

In the summer of 2019, Hunter Biden received two wires totaling $260,000 originating from BHR Partners associates, including Li, that listed President Joe Biden’s Delaware home as the beneficiary address for the funds, the House Oversight Committee revealed this week. The fund is bankrolled by the Bank of China.

Months after receiving the bank wires in 2019, Hunter Biden told ABC News he did not receive one penny from Li. . .

“Have you received any money from that business dealing?” an ABC News reporter asked Hunter Biden. . .

“Not one cent,” Hunter Biden claimed.

(Read more from “Exposed: Wires to Hunter From Beijing; Bidens Claimed They Didn’t Get ‘One Cent'” HERE)

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

GOP Caves Again, No Government Shutdown; Major Financial Institutions Guessed Wrong

By Patrick Reilly, Jon Levine and Rich Calder. Congress passed a last-minute, short-term funding bill and President Joe Biden signed it just before midnight, according to reports.

The Senate approved the stopgap funding measure, known as a continuing resolution, or CR, by a final vote of 88-9, hours after the House passed it 335-91, with votes from both sides of the isle.

Biden finally signed it with just minutes to go before many government operations would have shut down. . .

The deal will increase federal disaster assistance by $16 billion and keep the government open until at least November 17 — however it notably did not include new funding to Ukraine that was proposed under an earlier plan, which became a point of contention among Senate Democrats. . .

Republican holdouts argued that a CR is essentially an extension of the previous Democratically-held Congress’ priorities, and slap to the House GOP majority’s vow to pass 12 individual spending bills laying out conservative priorities in the next fiscal year. (Read more about the last minute deal HERE).

________________________________________

Last Week’s Prediction: Shutdown Will Happen

By Townhall. At this point, we should expect the government to shut down on October 1. Congress has until September 30 to pass a spending measure to keep the lights on in the Capitol Building, but Speaker Kevin McCarthy said he won’t bring up the House’s plan to present a shutdown until tomorrow. The Senate has a plan to pass a continuing resolution, though it’s unlikely McCarthy will bring that to the floor for a vote.

He also can’t procure Democratic votes unless he wants to risk a leadership scuffle. Also, there’s no incentive for Democrats to help Republicans right now. Goldman Sachs predicts the chances of a shutdown at 90 percent. It might as well be 100 at this point, to be honest (via NY Post):

Wall Street is bracing for the likelihood of lengthy government shutdown — with one prominent analyst placing the odds at 90% that Republicans and Democrats won’t reach a deal before Saturday’s deadline.

Goldman Sachs’ chief economist Jan Hatzius said in a Wednesday note obtained by The Post: “A government shutdown this year has looked likely for several months, and we now think the odds have risen to 90%.”

Hatzius, who heads the bank’s global investment research, predicted the shutdown would likely last two to three weeks

(Read more from “Major Financial Institution Gives Its Prediction on the Looming Government Shutdown” HERE)

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.

REPORT: RFK Jr. To Quit Dem Party, Run as an Independent

Democrat presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will exit the Democrat party and run for president as an Independent, Mediaite reported Friday.

Kennedy plans to announce his independent candidacy on October 9 in Pennsylvania, according to a text reviewed by Mediaite. Kennedy’s campaign also plans to launch “attack ads” against the Democrat National Committee (DNC) to “pave the way” for his announcement.

A Kennedy campaign insider told the outlet that Kennedy “feels that the DNC is changing the rules to exclude his candidacy, so an independent run is the only way to go.”

The insider’s comments align with remarks Kennedy made publicly earlier this month. Kennedy claimed the DNC is “trying to make sure that I can’t participate at all in the political process, and so I’m going to keep all my options open,” when a South Carolina voter questioned him about the possibility of a third-party run as an sindependent.

Kennedy confirmed a he will make a “major announcement” in Philadelphia on October 9 in a video statement posted online Friday. (Read more from “REPORT: RFK Jr. To Quit Dem Party, Run as an Independent” HERE)

Delete Facebook, Delete Twitter, Follow Restoring Liberty and Joe Miller at gab HERE.