Posts

Obama Ignores Generals’ Advice on Troop Levels for Unprecedented Sixth Time

In the end, President Obama was forced to listen to his generals — not his political instincts — on Afghanistan troop levels, and he decided to split the difference.

Mr. Obama is keeping 5,500 troops in Afghanistan beyond his presidency, about half the strength recommended by his top general in-country. It marks the sixth time he has rejected the advice of a ground commander on the force size in the long Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Military experts call that streak unprecedented for a commander in chief.

Like the current 9,800 U.S. troops there, the drawdown force of 5,500 will maintain a noncombat stance in training Afghan forces and hunting al Qaeda terrorists, Mr. Obama said Thursday. Administration officials said the U.S. will spend about $14.6 billion a year to house the troops at a total of four bases in Kabul, Kandahar, Jalalabad and Bagram — an increase over the estimated $10 billion annual cost of keeping a force at the U.S. Embassy in the Afghan capital.

The president had wanted to deliver a speech saying that all American troops were out of Afghanistan at the end of next year, as he did in 2011 for the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq. But he was swayed by the dark picture of the Afghan conflict that the top brass has been drawing for him, and now Mr. Obama will pass the war onto the next president in 2017 . . .

“The security situation in Afghanistan is so far from stable that to pull out all the troops, even for this president, doesn’t make any sense,” said retired Army Gen. John Keane, who devised the 2007 Iraq troop surge and has advised Afghan commanders in the past. (Read more from “Obama Ignores Generals’ Advice on Troop Levels for Unprecedented Sixth Time” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Obama’s February, March 2015 Golf Vacations and Fundraisers Cost Taxpayers $4,436,245.50 in Travel Expenses Alone

Judicial Watch announced today that it has obtained records from the U.S. Department of the Air Force revealing that Barack Obama’s February and March 2015 travel for golf vacations and fundraisers totaled $4,436,245.50 in taxpayer-funded transportation expenses. The documents regarding the Obama travel expenses came in response to two Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests filed by Judicial Watch.

To date, the Secret Service has not provided requested information, as required by FOIA, regarding security costs.

Using the Air Force’s official cost estimate of $206,337 per hour, the newly released records obtained by Judicial Watch show:

Obama’s February 14, 2015, golf outing to Palm Springs required a five-hour flight, costing taxpayers a total of $1,031,685.

Transportation for Obama’s February 19 day trip to Chicago cost taxpayers $619,011.00.

Transportation for Obama’s March 2015 fundraising trip to Los Angeles cost taxpayers $1,980,835.20.

Obama’s March 28, 2015, golf outing to Palm city required a 3.9-hour flight, costing taxpayers $804,870.30 . . .

Records released earlier this year by Judicial Watch showed that Michelle Obama’s 2014 trip to China cost more than $360,000 in air transportation costs. Judicial Watch uncovered an expensive combination of trips by the Obamas to Africa and Honolulu, which cost taxpayers $15,885,585.30 in flight expenses. The single largest prior known expense for accommodations was for Michelle Obama’s side-trip to Dublin, Ireland, during the 2013 G-8 conference in Belfast, when she and her entourage booked 30 rooms at the five-star Shelbourne Hotel, with the first lady staying in the 1500 square-foot Princess Grace suite at a cost of $3,500 a night. The total cost to taxpayers for the Obamas’ Ireland trip was $7,921,638.66. To date, the known travel expenses of the Obamas and Vice President Joe Biden exceed $61 million.(Read more from “Obama’s February, March 2015 Golf Vacations and Fundraisers Cost Taxpayers $4,436,245.50 in Travel Expenses Alone” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Top Physicist: Obama Picked the Wrong Side on Climate Change

The climate models used by alarmist scientists to predict global warming are getting worse, not better; carbon dioxide does far more good than harm; and President Obama has backed the “wrong side” in the war on “climate change.”

So says one of the world’s greatest theoretical physicists, Dr Freeman Dyson, the British-born, naturalised American citizen who worked at Princeton University as a contemporary of Einstein and has advised the US government on a wide range of scientific and technical issues.

In an interview with Andrew Orlowski of The Register, Dyson expressed his despair at the current scientific obsession with climate change which he says is “not a scientific mystery but a human mystery. How does it happen that a whole generation of scientific experts is blind to the obvious facts.”

This mystery, says Dyson, can only partly be explained in terms of follow the money. Also to blame, he believes, is a kind of collective yearning for apocalyptic doom.

It is true that there’s a large community of people who make their money by scaring the public, so money is certainly involved to some extent, but I don’t think that’s the full explanation.

(Read more from “Top Physicist: Obama Picked the Wrong Side on Climate Change” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

In Chattanooga’s Wake, DHS Wants to Revive Terrorism Alert System

By Kevin Baron. President Barack Obama’s top homeland security official has ordered a review of the nation’s terrorism alert system to reflect what he called the growing threat of attacks originating within the United States.

The U.S. has never used the National Terrorism Alert System, a two-level system that replaced the oft-derided color-coded terrorism alerts installed after 9/11 to spread the word about potential attacks from abroad. But after a “homegrown violent extremist” killed five service members in Chattanooga, Tenn. — and amid the expectation of more terrorist-inspired attacks — the Department of Homeland Security wants to revise and jumpstart the system.

“I’ve asked our folks to consider whether we should revise that system to accommodate how the terrorism threat has evolved,” DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday at the annual meeting of the Association of the U.S. Army in Washington, D.C.“That review is underway now.”

Instead of the post-9/11 green-to-red progression, the NTAS has just two states of alert. An “elevated threat” means there is a credible threat against the United States. An “imminent threat” alerts the public to just that, “a credible, specific, and impending terrorist threat against the United States.”

Under the old system, DHS took much criticism that the nation was being held on constant orange alert for no good reason. But the department has since been criticized for never issuing any alerts. U.S. intelligence and national and local law enforcement officials have opted to keep the public in the dark to avoid panic with a sudden terrorism alert. (Read more from “In Chattanooga’s Wake, DHS Wants to Revive Terrorism Alert System” HERE)

________________________________________

NYPD Has Super-Secret X-Ray Vans

By Yoav Gonen and Shawn Cohen. Police Commissioner Bill Bratton won’t let the NYCLU — or anyone else — bully him for details on the NYPD’s super-secret X-ray vans.

The top cop was asked Tuesday about the counter-terror vehicles, called Z Backscatter Vans, in light of the NYCLU’s request to file an amicus brief arguing that the NYPD should have to release records about the X-ray vans.

“They’re not used to scan people for weapons,” Bratton insisted. “The devices we have, the vehicles if you will, are all used lawfully and if the ACLU and others don’t think that’s the case, we’ll see them in court — where they’ll lose! At this time and the nature of what’s going on in the world, that concern of theirs is unfounded.”

He declined to give more specific details about the devices themselves.

“Those are issues I’d prefer not to divulge to the public at this time,” Bratton said. “I will not talk about anything at all about this — it falls into the range of security and counter-terrorism activity that we engage in.” (Read more from “NYPD Has Super-Secret X-Ray Vans” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Obama: European Discovery of New World Introduced ‘Disease, Devastation and Violence’ [+video]

By Penny Starr. In a proclamation marking Columbus Day issued by the White House on Friday, President Barack Obama said that while the federal holiday recognizes the accomplishments of Italian explorer Christopher Columbus and his discovery of the New World, it is marred by mistreatment of indigenous people.

“Though these early travels expanded the realm of European exploration, to many they also marked a time that forever changed the world for the indigenous peoples of North America,” Obama wrote. “Previously unseen disease, devastation, and violence were introduced to their lives — and as we pay tribute to the ways in which Columbus pursued ambitious goals — we also recognize the suffering inflicted upon Native Americans and we recommit to strengthening tribal sovereignty and maintaining our strong ties.”

Obama noted that Columbus’ curious nature has become part of the national “spirit” and highlighted his ethnic heritage. (Read more from “Obama: European Discovery of New World Introduced ‘Disease, Devastation and Violence'” HERE)

________________________________

Farrakhan on Columbus Day: ‘No Indigenous People Want to Celebrate ‘the Wicked One’ Who ‘Dislodged Them’

By CNS News. Nation of Islam leader Minister Louis Farrakhan called Christopher Columbus “the wicked one.”

(Read more from this story HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

This Is What Obama Is Blaming the Outcry From Hillary Clinton’s Email ‘Mistake’ on

President Obama said Sunday that Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server to conduct her correspondence while secretary of state was a “mistake,” but denied that U.S. national security had been jeopardized as a result.

“She made a mistake. She has acknowledged it. I do think that the way it’s been ginned up is in part because of politics,” Obama said in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes.” “I think she’d be the first to acknowledge that maybe she could have handled the original decision better and the disclosures more quickly.”

Obama added that he was not initially aware that Clinton was using the private server, which was kept at her home in Chappaqua, N.Y., as opposed to a professional data center. When CBS’ Steve Kroft pointed out that the Obama administration has prosecuted people for having classified material on their private computers, the president said he didn’t get the impression there was an intent to “hide something or to squirrel away information.”

The FBI is currently investigating whether classified information that passed through Clinton’s server was mishandled. Last week, the bureau extended its investigation to obtaining data from a second tech company, which had been hired by another firm in 2013 to back up data on Clinton’s server. (Read more from “This Is What Obama Is Blaming the Outcry From Hillary Clinton’s Email ‘Mistake’ on” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Obama: I Could Win Third Term as President, But…

President Obama insisted that he could run and win a third term as president if he wanted to, but assured Americans that he would follow the lead of previous presidents before him.

When asked directly by Steve Kroft in a 60 Minutes interview if he could win a third term as president he replied without hesitation, “Yes. I do” . . .

But he compared his own struggle with that of the nation’s first president, George Washington, to explain why he would step down.

“I think having a fresh set of legs in this seat, I think having a fresh perspective, new personnel and new ideas and a new conversation with the American people about issues that may be different a year from now than they were when I started eight years ago, I think that’s all good for our democracy,” he concluded. (Read more from “Obama: I Could Win Third Term as President, But…” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Here’s What Obama Had to Say About Rapper Kanye West’s Presidency Run

If you’re going to run for president, Kanye West, you might as well listen to someone who’s been there and done that.

“I do have some advice for him,” President Barack Obama said during a West Coast fundraiser featuring an appearance by the rapper. “Just some stuff that I’ve picked up on the way” . . .

“First of all, you’ve got to spend a lot of time dealing with some strange characters who behave like they’re on a reality TV show,” Obama said. “So you’ve just to be cool with that.” (Read more from “Here’s What Obama Had to Say About Rapper Kanye West’s Presidency Run” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Watch: Oregon Gun Supporters Protest Obama’s Trip to Comfort Families of Shooting Victims

More than 200 pro-gun advocates protested President Obama’s visit on Oct. 9 to Roseburg, Oregon, where he privately met and comforted the families of victims of the mass shooting on Oct. 1 that took nine lives.

“By coming here, Obama is going to politicize a tragedy by saying that you have to have gun control,” protester George Starr told the Associated Press.

However, Obama had a private meeting with the families, not a public appearance, which was made clear all week in pre-advance notices.

“I’m here to tell Obama he is not welcome in our county,” Bruce Rester added. “He is exploiting the local tragedy with his gun control agenda.”

“Everybody should carry a gun,” Rester stated. “An armed society is a polite society.” (Read more from “Oregon Gun Supporters Protest Obama’s Trip to Comfort Families of Shooting Victims” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.

Obama’s Mysterious Trip to San Diego

President Obama is on the West coast, making appearances in Oregon, Los Angeles and San Francisco. He is expected to arrive in San Diego Saturday night.

President Obama is scheduled to spend Saturday and Sunday in San Diego, but the reason for the visit remains a bit of a mystery.

The White House has confirmed Air Force One will land around 8 p.m., at Miramar on Saturday with President Obama on board.

There are no planned public appearances while he is in San Diego, but rumor has it, he will be staying in the Rancho Santa Fe area.

On Friday, it appeared to be business as usual at the Rancho Valencia Hotel and Spa, where President Obama is rumored to be staying during his San Diego visit. (Read more from “Obama’s Mysterious Trip to San Diego” HERE)

Follow Joe Miller on Twitter HERE and Facebook HERE.